Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Every good book teaches you something and helps you grow as a person and in that sense, I grew up with little scout, the protagonist of the novel, "To Kill a Mockingbird". Having read " To Kill a Mockingbird", the ending of the story let me imagine a 'happily ever after' and a sequel to the novel meant a halt to my imagination. On knowing that a sequel was found, I was both excited and shocked! I was nervous too as I became aware of the advantage that this book has in ruining my opinion of the first book in the series. But after reading this book, it became clear to me that this book was completely different from its prequel and all thoughts on comparing the two books faded away.

First of all, this book was heavily hyped and so arouse bigger expectations. However, this book was competent as a separate novel, it has failed to be a good sequel. Even though, this book has its flaws, it also has the requisite constituents of a good book and so I would recommend it to readers of all kind.

I personally enjoyed reading this book as I got to meet the same characters that I grew up with. This book has a nostalgic touch when Jean Louise, the protagonist, reminisces her childhood, taking us back to the good old days of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Even though this book is portrayed many years after its prequel and so times, people and their opinions have changed, Jean Louise remains the same old tomboyish, curious little scout in attitude. Atticus' brother and Jean Louise's uncle Jack Finch, has been given much significance in this book. This book teaches us that our personal opinions are what gives us our individuality and that difference of opinion is an indispensable part of everyone's lives. The message that this book conveys is insightful and sagacious.

My opinion on this book will certainly differ from someone else's opinion on this book as we all relate a book to our own personal lives. According to me, this book is all about growing up, facing reality and accepting the truth. The author beautifully explains the hardships of growing up and of growing independent. Like every young adult, Jean Louise grows up too and wakes up to reality one day. The pangs of betrayal and the pain that it inflicts upon Jean Louise is felt by the reader too. what makes her move on, accept reality and understand the importance of listening to people of different opinions is the rest of the story!!!

I hope you enjoyed the review, if not don't hesitate to leave a comment!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment