Thursday, October 22, 2015

The namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

Ashima and Ashoke, a  newly married couple and immigrants from Calcutta, India move to America to spend the rest of their lives there.  This journey throws many challenges at them in the upbringing of their first child, Gogol. In the compulsion to choose between the cultures, will Gogol still be able to live life his way without breaking his parents' hearts?

I loved reading this book because of its detailed writing and the rich language. I also love the way the two cultures are explained and differentiated deeply. Even though the plot is not very well developed, the zealous writing style makes up for it and conceals all the flaws. So, i would surely recommend this book for all the young adult and adult avid readers of fiction.

I felt that the story was weak in the area of plot development, as I mentioned earlier. I also personally felt that the novel consisted of some offensive content because it has the mention of living together relationships. The story would have been more better for me if it had more positive aspects. I was disappointed by the story not being able to fulfill its true potential and to meet my expectations. The writing style aroused me to expect more of the story.

I felt the story was especially strong in the area of exhibiting the bonding of a family. I was captivated by the way the sentimental scenes of the novel were explained. The biggest appeal for me is how the author enchantingly takes the readers along the journey of the protagonist, through all the ups and downs of his life. I was riveted by the flow of the book, which makes the reader feel that it is impossible to put the book down once they start reading it. I was completely enthralled by the way the author ends each and every paragraph, leaving the reader, pondering upon the last lines of the last paragraph for minutes, before starting with the next paragraph. I felt that the author was able to clearly present a perfect mixture of both the cultures as her personal life too is intertwined with both the cultures!!!

I would like to end my review by quoting my favourite lines from the book:

"Do I remind you of that night?"
"Not at all," his father says eventually, one hand going to his ribs, a habitual gesture that has baffled Gogol until now. " You remind me of everything that followed".

So folks, what are you waiting for? Go and grab your own copy of the book!

Hope you enjoyed the review, if not please don't hesitate to leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I like the quote you picked out. It gives a great feel for the story's style and tone. Keep reading--and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and yes I will keep reading and writing! Thanks for making time to read!!!

      Delete